Monday, June 24, 2013

The Night I Left

Written on April 23rd

Bangkok is the last place I would want to spend my last night in Thailand, but here I am. It’s almost midnight and Dave headed to the airport 4 hours ago to catch his flight back towards Portland. I will be leaving around the same time tomorrow night, but until then I am alone again for the first time in three weeks. I’ve got a little bit of that loneliness that always surfaces when I am on my own again at first. 

It’s been a ridiculous three weeks. We did everything we could squeeze into our days here, hardly stopping for more than an afternoon-which became obvious when I broke down and had to take a four hour nap after breakfast this morning. This was after our sleeper train brought us from Chiang Mai to the big hot and sticky city of Bangkok at 7am this morning. Neither of us got the most quality sleep of our lives, but we did have fun on the train. We found the bar car, which was very similar to the other bar car I’ve been in- you might remember from my first couple weeks in Thailand- but was packed with WAY more drunk people and loud music. It was a full-blown party in the car, with strings of colorful Christmas lights included. We only stayed in the bar car for 10 minutes- long enough to finish a Singha and get a little bored with the frat-feeling scene. Then we made our way back to the end of the train where our beds were. Yep, we got the caboose car! The car attendant- a ladyboy who I’m convinced hated me because I didn’t order dinner from her- woke us up about 5am. I climbed down into the lower bed and we spent the next hour or so watching the scene change from countryside to slum to city through the window.





I still can’t believe how many places we were able to go 19 days. We didn’t stay in any room for longer than 2 nights. We covered about every mode of transportation, one of which was to the emergency room…but more on that in the following posts. After sitting down and thinking about all that we did, I understand why I needed that nap today…


And on that note, I am going to take one last long nap before catching a big bird back to the US. Sweet air-conditioned dreams, Bangkok. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment