Monday, January 21, 2013

The Journey- Email Updates and Thoughts While in Transit to Thailand

As ready as I'll ever be.
PDX:
And I'm off! About to leave Portland International Airport to head toward L.A. The goodbye was as difficult as I had feared, but I am calmed down now, just need a nap. My security check went smoothly, my checked giant bag was .03 pounds under 50, so they didn't charge me extra for luggage, AND because my international airline doesn't charge for bags under 50 pounds, Alaska Airlines didn't charge me the normal $20 fee! So financially, off to a good start :) My only complaint so far: They confiscated my yogurt at security. Boo


LAX:

So I am FINALLY in my airline waiting area in Los Angles and have about an hour until I get on the big bird and fly across the Pacific to Taipei, Taiwan. From there, I will be flying to Bangkok, Thailand. My flight was ok to LA, I was really anxious at first, but once we flew up out of the clouds (it snowed this morning in PDX), the sun came into the plane and I felt better. Two small cups of coffee and a glass of water later and I was good to go. I had to walk outside the LAX airport to a separate building to find the international terminal. It's very sunny here but a little brisk. When I walked into the international terminal, I felt like I was already in Asia. I can't lie, it kinda freaked me out, I felt like I was in another country already and I couldn't understand the front desk woman trying to ask me if I wanted an aisle or window seat. Let the language barrier begin! 

I am exhausted. 
I found a kiosk that sells international SIM cards for my phone to work in Thailand, and I'm not sure if I got ripped off or not but I feel better having that part out of the way. It isn't charged with minutes yet- I have to do that part in Bangkok. I am still having some pretty intense anxiety (probably because my backpack is HUGE and I feel tiny in the world when I wear it) , but then I just try and pretend that I am Elizabeth Gilbert and I feel a little better. I will check in- assuming I have time- when I am in Taiwan. Love you guys.

Taiwan:
I am in Taipei, Taiwan after a 14 1/2 hour flight. WOW that is exactly as long as you would think it would be. They gave us paper/fabric slippers to wear which felt a smidge fancy (though they were pretty junky) and the food was served in these funny little trays that looked like a children's tea party. The food was gross but that's ok because I still have a pretty nervous and sour stomach from the day. Our flight should be leaving soon to Bangkok, I will email again once I am in the hotel safe and sound. 
Also, I met two other Americans who are flying to Bangkok to teach English, but they are dudes, so I am keeping to myself. Nice to not feel so alone in doing this though. They're calling my flight!

Bangkok:
I am HERE. Oh god, I positively radiate body odor and am so tired that it has almost come full circle to feeling energized. It is something like three in the morning here. While on the plane from Taiwan to BKK, I sat next to the most wonderfully sweet couple. They are probably in their 50s, she is white and he is originally from Thailand but is American now. They are from Southern Oregon and come to Thailand every year for several weeks. They pretty much became my guardians after I met them. They helped me fill out my visa stuff, find my luggage, made sure I made it safe to my hotel and gave me their email. They offered many times for me to email them this week and said I could come stay a night with them on the beach South of here. She was just the nicest lady, the exact kind of people you want your kids to run into on a trip, so that should make Mom and Dad feel good. 
I finally got into the van that took me to the hotel- the guy who was my driver was a very sweet young man named....damn now I can't remember. Anyway, he was very friendly and I got out my Thai prase book and tried some stuff out on him. He asked if I was married and then I think suggested that maybe he show me the city tomorrow. I politely laughed and nodded, but no way. From what I have read- most Thai guys are very friendly and this is pretty normal. Not being creepy, just very very friendly. However, I plan on going into the city myself tomorrow and finding my hostel before I venture anywhere.
 The fresh air is absolutely wonderful after being on that plane. It is 3AM however and I am sure it wont be so refreshing tomorrow. My hotel isn't anything grand, but lots of character and bright colors. In the lobby outside my door there, the ceiling has a large circle that is inset up into the ceiling. I was very very happy to see that in it were two little green lizards. :) Also, there is a pretty mangy but sweet looking black and white cat that is outside the hotel. Must be good luck :)
Not sure how to work the shower but I smell pretty awful and must give it a try ASAP. Love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment