Monday, January 21, 2013

Volunteering: Monte Vista Yoga & Detox

It's about 9:30 pm and I finally got around to making this blog! All the previous posts have been emails sent out to family and friends this past week that began on day 1 of my adventure. I am currently at Monte Vista retreat and detox center on the island, and of course, it is beautiful here too. I made my way here in the most swelteringly sweaty heat this afternoon, walking through town first to pick up a couple things, and also in hopes of being closer to the retreat center before I had to get a taxi in an effort to save some money. Feeling pretty worse for the wear sweat-wise, I bargained my taxi down from 200 baht to 150 baht, but the deal was that they would take me to the turn off, and I would walk the rest of the way up the hill. Fine by me!

False.
Hill of doom. Looks easy enough...

By the time I got up the hill, it was not fine by me and I was really regretting not forking out the extra 50 baht (that's a grand $1.50) for the service to the top of the hill.
I haven't been that drenched in sweat since the last time I took a 105 degree bikram hot-yoga class over a year ago. It wasn't that the hill was a long walk, but with the pack on my back, the sun, and the humidity (I'll just ignore the fact that I'm totally out of shape right here), it was rough.

I arrived, read some paperwork, and was shown my room. For the next two nights I am sharing a room with a guest at the center, a 25 year old masseuse from Perth, Australia. She will be leaving in a couple of days to go to Bangkok, she tells me, to get a boob job. She then showed me a picture (without me asking) of the boobs she wants, and we chatted for a bit in the room.

For lunch I was made a couscous burger in between two pieces of bread. On a side note- most of you probably know that I gave up wheat, grains, and sugar, but this trip will have many exceptions because I refuse to say no to a plate of THAI pad-thai. It was actually pretty good and after that hike up the mountain (I mean hill) I ate it without a thought. For dinner was a small pile of sweet potato fries, asparagus and peas, and a salad made of tomato, olives, red onion, and some other stuff. Needless to say, I enjoyed dinner quite a bit more. The view from the big main office deck is absolutely stunning...



His name is Harry and he enjoys scratches and long walks through the jungle.

I have to admit, this morning I was a little nervous to see what this place had in store for me before I arrived. I am still a little nervous because my 'work' day doesn't start until 7:15 tomorrow morning. That is when mandatory meditation begins on that big beautiful deck, followed by an optional yoga class that I am free to join every morning at 8. I am very much looking forward to getting my body and mind in better shape.

I will be working 6 hours a day here, either morning or night shift depending on the day, with two days off a week to do as I please on the island, and I get two free meals a day. From what I gather, the work will include things like sweeping, dishes, painting, etc. I plan on being here for two weeks.

Everyone I have met has been very friendly, although I am the only American here and feel a little awkward. Oh well, things to get used to. There are currently only 4 other volunteers, some of which I will meet tomorrow. It feels kind of strange, like the first day of a new job. Which I suppose it is, but in the setting of being on vacation it feels misplaced. Either way, I am looking forward to getting the first day out of the way and done with. I am sure I will feel better about it by tomorrow night. Well, I should probably head towards sleep since I have to be awake and ready to stretch my mind a little tomorrow morning. Miss you all like crazy.

-H

1 comment:

  1. I have been searching to find a comfort or effective procedure to complete this process and I think this is the most suitable way to do it effectively.
    dog daily detox

    ReplyDelete