Thursday, January 24, 2013

Slowly but Surely

The last two days of my volunteer work here at Monte Vista have been much better than my first. I still don't know if I want to stay here longer than this Wednesday, but I must admit that the last three days have gone by fast. Yesterday I spent most of my day in the bungalows with another volunteer from Holland named Root and the Burmese maintenance guy here named Dyn (pronounced Deen). We spent most of the day talking about where we come from and asking each other questions.

 Dyn has lived in Thailand for 5 years, but will be going back to Burma when it becomes a democracy in two years. Root has the baby face of an 18 year old, but is 30, and quit his full time job in Amsterdam to travel and draw. Gotta love lost souls :) I had an interesting conversation with Dyn, who by the way is about 5 feet tall, Indonesian looking, and dresses so nice I wonder if he might be gay (he says he is not). He speaks in broken English but it's enough for us to communicate just fine. He said he is going to get a nose job next year, and he told us about injections he got in his face to make his skin white, but it's only been two months since he stopped getting them and he is disappointed that his skin is dark again. I told him that in America, many women my age get into a bed that is made of light bulbs to make our skin dark. He asks "WHY?? That is crazy!" I agree, Dyn, but I think most Americans would find your skin-whitening injections pretty crazy too! I didn't tell him this, and I also didn't mention that I only stopped using tanning beds a year ago myself...I have also noticed that almost all beauty products here have a promise printed on the front to make your skin whiter. Lotion, deodorant, face wash, all with whitening stuff in them. Meanwhile, I can't wait to hit the beach on Sunday to get my tan on.

After we finished work and dinner, Dyn came back to pick up me and Root to take us to the night-time Temple Festival that goes on all day and night this week. He mentioned really cheap clothes and I signed up to go immediately.

And so, my first ride on a motorcycle (which is how all the locals and lots of tourists get around here) in Thailand happened. I didn't drive it, but I rode on the back of Dyn's. Even though it was only a five minute ride into town, the air was cool and I looked up at the bright moon in the clouds and felt better about life.

Dyn's sweet ride. Stop freaking out Dad.

The three of us walked around for a while, I scored some baggy yoga capri things for three bucks each and a light sweater. I also bought some sliced mango for breakfast the next morning, and some grilled gummy-coconut like stuff in banana leaves that was, of course, delicious. I ordered five planning to save some for breakfast as well, but lets be honest... I ate them all. They were quite small so don't judge me too hard.
We ran into two of Dyn's friends who each had a paper sack full of fried grasshoppers, and were eating them like popcorn. They insisted we eat some. I said no at first, but quickly remembered that I was in Thailand and if not grasshoppers here, then where? They were salty, crunchy, protein bites. Not too bad, but I don't think I could ever graduate to eating a cockroach or a big maggot. Both of which were sold at the fair.

We found a booth called the '9 baht' store, and I explained to Dyn that we have something like this in America, called the Dollar store! I don't think he understood.

The 9 Baht Store.
I tried to get a picture of me and my friend Dyn, but my flash wasn't working, so this will have to do.


Dyn & I at the Temple Festival
Today started with yoga from 8-9:30 on the big beautiful deck. It was difficult, but still wonderful. I really missed yoga. Remind me to never stop, and when I move back to the states, I need to find a studio again, K? Okay.

"Purple House"- where I am staying. I am, in fact, just upstairs through the window on the right, right now.
After yoga I still had a few hours until work began and I decided to eat my mango from the night before and a cup of peppermint tea. I woke up this morning with that feeling in the back of my throat that I am about to get sick so everyone cross their fingers for me that it's a fake. With the extra time I had on my hands, I decided it was time to fetch my laundry from down the hill. I grabbed my fake ray-bans that I purchased in town (the logo scratched right off, but I still love them for 4 bucks.) and headed down the hill. By the time I reached the bottom I realized that I hadn't had any coffee in three days and that was unacceptable. Right next to my laundry ladies was a beautiful hotel with a big restaurant/cafe. I took a seat and treated myself to a cappuccino and a bacon omelette. Let me just insert here- I will never be vegetarian. Like, ever. I always thought that one day I would give it a try, but after eating no meat here at Monte Vista- I will never again deprive myself of the holy meat that is bacon. Anyway, this omelette was delish and the cappuccino was exactly what my morning needed.

Breakfast of Champions

View from breakfast

I paid and strolled over to retrieve my freshly-laundered clothes. The girl hardly glanced at me before she had my clothes for me. Good memory I guess? I wasn't sure they were mine and then I accidentally said out loud "Yep, that's my thong!" She didn't understand thankfully... awkward.. They came folded in this lovely plastic package and smelled fresh and slightly floral.

The Laundry Shack.

My day was spent working in the bungalows again with Root, we sanded and mopped the floor of bungalow #1 and then painted the floor dark blue. Because I can't do anything without making a mess, my toes and fingers ended up looking like I was part of the Blue Man Group.

My days off this week will be Sunday and Monday, so I think I will find myself a good square of sand on the beach to plant myself on and play in the ocean. I still haven't gotten more than my feet wet here and that needs to change STAT.

Hope you are all well- I am not sure how many of you are actually following the blog so give me some warm fuzzies and comment below or send me an email if you have time <3 Miss you like crazy.

-H

2 comments:

  1. Hey you crazy wanderlusty girl. Love the Blog, love the photos. Keep them coming. Be careful hanging out with lone asian or 30 year old lost souls. We trust your instincts but I am still your mom. Always ask yourself, what would mom say, and if you really want to play it safe, what would dad say...the right answer is probably somewhere in the middle:))) Dad won't like this post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm running way behind Hailey, but Levi and Shelley couldn't say enough about the blog so I jumped on board... :) PS, If you really wanna play it safe, if your parents WOULD do it, you might wanna think twice... come on now, we all know it. And PS, niether of them will probably like this post. ;)

    ReplyDelete