Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Slice of Pai

Ok.



 I can't lie to myself any longer. My room is totally grossing me out. I tried to think of it as rustic and just a little rough around the edges, but the only person I am trying to fool is me. There are stains on the walls, find I can get over that. There was a miniature gecko on the floor when I entered, OK- that is actually totally cute. But the black (I can only assume Asian) long hairs I find on the floor are really a deal killer.

Unfortunately for me I have paid for two nights in this room. I took a three hour van ride north from Chiang Mai this morning to a place called Pai. I hadn't hear of Pai until last week, but I have only heard of it's charm and beauty and laid-back style. I woke up this morning knowing it was the last day I had booked at my hostel in Chiang Mai and decided, what the heck, let's do it. The van ride was a small fee of 180 baht (about $5.40) and I had nothing else going on. I have a friend coming tomorrow, but I think I needed the day/night alone so I decided to leave early. I don't want to talk about the van ride, but I will say that it is known for making people sick with all it's twists and turns. All 746 of them. Literally, that is how many. I am proud of myself for not barfing. I had the unfortunate luck of needing to pee before we started our journey, making me the last person in the vehicle. The only spot not yet taken was the front seat, in the middle. You know, that place between the passenger and the driver, that shouldn't really be a seat? It placed me a good couple of inches higher and about 150% less comfortable than the rest of the passengers. I was in quite a cheery mood though and thought nothing of it at the time. I hopped in and introduced myself to the driver with the smile that could only come from a person who hadn't been driven to Pai before. I found a video online that someone did of the whole ride from Chiang Mai to Pai, sped up. It's pretty boring until about the 3:30 minute point, when you can really start to get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fW5hYxqYQ

When I got to Pai, I was feeling quite good about my prospects for the next few days once the nausea wore off. That changed, however, when every guesthouse told me they either wanted all my money for a room to myself or they were full. I was able to keep myself from crying (Ok don't get the impression based on this blog that I walk around Thailand crying all the time...just on occasion) as I walked up and down the streets asking about rooms. So when I found this place (I don't even think it has a name, I might just be renting a room/bathroom from someones house??) and they only wanted 150 baht- about $4.50- per night, I said YESGREATSUREITLOOKSFINE and signed up for three nights. After further evaluation, I kindly asked if I could refund my third night and only stay for two. I am now regretting two. Sans longblackhairs, it is pretty clean, and they included a fresh roll of toilet paper in my stack of blankets (most places don't give you any- always bring your own!) so I can't complain too much...

Bamboo bridge: Not unlike Indiana Jones in that I thought I might die.

Pai River, beautiful.

Can you reduce my car insurance?


Cute, except that a full-sized one made it's way into my room and I can't seem to find it....

To finish my update pre-Pai trip, I can now say that Portland rain stands NO chance in a competition against Thailand. I can't say that I am surprised, I am in a tropical place. We went out to the Saturday night walking market a few nights ago, and noticed a few sprinkles. Sprinkles---->Rain--->Quite a lot of rain---->Full on dumping from the heavens, rivers in the streets and all. Before it got too bad, my friends said they had seen the rain start like this in Laos and it turned out badly, so they were turning back. Go on ahead friends, I said! I am going to keep going, I am  enjoying the rain- it feel so Thailandish! Big mistake.

They were right, the sky opened up and a bucket of continuous rain came down on me and all the other streetgoers. Watch as the rain goes from wet to worse:

Mere sprinkles...

Oh damn

Flattering, no. Honest, yes.





Natasha and I, DRENCHED. This picture doesn't do it justice.
I am not sure how long I will stay in Pai for. To tell you the truth, I am not even sure why I am here. But that is the theme of my time here in Thailand, so let's keep the ball rolling, shall we?? I will take pictures tomorrow of all the beauty that was promised to me here in Pai and will be sure to share with you all <3 Goodnight loves.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment