Thursday, February 28, 2013

Happy Healing Home: Part One


2/19/2013



I am now the proud owner of a Thai Tourist Visa. This visa gives me permission to stay in the country for 60 days, after which I will be able to apply for an extension of 30 days, giving me a grand three months to eat, sleep, and eat some more in Thailand. My 12 minivan ride to Laos to apply for my visa was a pretty smooth one by Southeast Asia travel standards. My overnight stay in Laos was alright, the dorm I stayed in was quite large and dreary. The day I spent in Laos was actually Valentine’s Day, and I celebrated by going to dinner alone and allowing the restaurant owner’s cat to rub up against my leg affectionately while I ate my spring rolls and banana shake. If I had cared much for the holiday this year, I might have been a little put down by my night, but I have had enough celebratory holidays with loved ones over the years, that I decided far ahead of time that I was going to let this one go by without any expectations. Goal accomplished, happy girl! The van ride back, however, did have me literally praying to the heavens for a safe return. The driver made it scarily clear to all us passengers that he was tired and having a hard time not falling asleep. Thank you sir for making sure I get no sleep as well on this overnight trip. How about we both stay awake, eh? Just for staying alive’s sake?? THANKS.


Two days spent in Chiang Mai later, and I am now on a farm 3 hours north. Happy Healing Farm is the name, and I am one of many volunteers here. After my time at Monte Vista, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to give volunteering another try. I have heard nothing but good reviews of traveler’s time spent here, and decided to join a couple new American friends here. The fee is 150 baht per day (about $4.50) This covers accommodation, three meals a day, lessons in Lana Thai cooking, traditional Thai herbal medicine, and an endless supply of sweet banana chips (Someone stop me, please). One of the American girls is from Oregon, and the friend traveling with her is specifically from Portland! My love of nonstop-eating is shared by my American friends, so I know I am not the only closeted fat kid (It’s ok, we jokingly call ourselves fat kids).

Last night was my first night here, and I stayed in the main building in a spare room next to the husband, wife, and 6 year old who own the place. Jim and Tea are the couple (can’t recall the kids name, but he reminds me of a Thai Jayden a little bit), and they are so kind and gracious. The days here are spent working on whatever you want to, for as long as you want to, if you even want to. The projects I worked on today was a little weeding in the garden and shelling coffee beans. They grow coffee here and I will get to be a part of the whole process of coffee making, from berry to cup. Very cool.

Today I was able to move into a hut of my own, which I am currently in. By hut, I mean freestanding bamboo square with a mat and a mosquito net. No bathroom, no door, no electricity in my hut. Just a little porch, some blankets, two candles, and a carpet of starry night sky just outside my room. It’s only a half moon tonight, but I really feel like I have never seen the sky brighter before in my life. The frogs here are very loud, and sound exactly like Pop Rocks.


My latest digs



Right now I am snuggled up in my blankets with one of my candles burning next to my mat in a tin can. It’s only been two days of me being here, but as a type this, I realize that this doesn’t feel as rustic as it obviously is. Last night I pretty much slept on a concrete floor with a blanket over it, and it didn’t occur to me until now how far away from my pillow-top fluffy heaven of a bed I have come in five weeks. Mmmmm, down comforter, Dave, and the cat. Snuggly sounds nice now that I am writing about it.

OK, must keep my mind off that. It will be a long time before I have that again, and that’s ok.
I am having troubles with my Ego again, finding myself stressing about things subconsciously. Tonight four of us and Jim meditated for 15 minutes in candle light before bed. It was really nice, but I just could not quiet my mind or focus at all. I had two days of pure bliss last week, feeling all zen, and here I am again. Uhg.
I think I will feel better in a couple of days. I always do. I think I just need some time to establish my place here and get a feel for where I fit and what I will do here. So far, there is a really great sense of community here. We all help with preparing the meals, and they are eaten together on pillows on the floor with short little table tops. Any of you who feared (or maybe just imagined, not feared) that I would one day join a hippy commune and let go of all my inhibitions, the only part missing so far is the letting go of inhibitions. They have the hippy commune part totally covered. And I love it.



Massage train...how we spend our downtime here at the farm.

I am not sure how long I will stay, two weeks at least. I would like to stay a month if it feels right. I need to work on spending as little money as I can until Dave comes to visit in the beginning of April. One month here would only cost me 130 dollars, a stark contrast with the money I spent in the last thirty days. It’s amazing how fast money can fly once you’re in a place where everything is cheaper. Makes no sense. Or cents. Har har.

My internet connection here is only possible if I am in the middle of the property next to the garden, and with an internet usb stick, of which there is only one. So, needless to say, I will be cutting back on the internet and the blog updates while I am here. I will continue to write about being here as things happen, and then upload them when I can though. Love you all, sending you lots of stars tonight.
-H


1 comment:

  1. do you have a contact number for them, or an email. Im planning on doing something like this when I come back to Thailand next year, would be good to have their details. Your adventure sounds awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete