Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chai in Pai

Pai Pai Pai!
 I am back again in my most favorite little Thailand town. And just in time too, it has been raining on and off here the last couple of days and the weather is SO nice and cool and clean feeling. What a relief from spending my last few afternoons in my upstairs room in Chiang Mai melting into a miserable sweaty puddle. I woke up yesterday morning and decided to make my way up here instead of staying in the city another day, and I am so glad I did. 
I took my sweet time getting to the bus station, even though my brain kept telling me "OMG you need to get on top of this and get your bus ticket and make sure you dont miss a bus and blah blah blah!" I listened to my heart and walked around the old city square instead most of the morning, spending some time in an air conditioned coffee shop and then stopping for breakfast and tea at an outdoor cafe. I even took some time to read with a pot of tea. Before I caught a ride to the bus station, I stopped in at the pharmacy and got some motion sickness pills- there was NO way I was going to barf in a bag again like I did on my way back from Pai a few weeks ago. 
By the time I wandered into the bus station around noon, there was a bus rounding people up for Pai exactly as I walked up! The driver said "You go to Pai?" I said "Yes please!" He said don't worry about standing in line to get a ticket, just get in and you can pay on the way. Wonderful timing :) Had I been 5 minutes later, I would have had to wait for at least an hour or two for the next shuttle. Just as I had felt, everything worked out how it should.
 The hilarious part is that I ended up in that exact same front middle seat that I had to ride in last time! Out of ALL the seats on the shuttle, there I was, between the driver and a kid dressed in army gear the whole way up. But thanks to my motion sickness tablet, I was nausea-free and feeling kind of euphoric! Maybe it was the sleepy side effect that the pharmacist told me I might get from the pills, but I had a very pleasant ride up. The driver was really nice and drove much less crazy than my past drivers. It began to rain on our ride to Pai, and it felt SO much like I was driving to the coast in Oregon. It had such a PacificNW feel to it <3 I miss you my little Oregonians. I will try and send you some sunshine, please try and send me more rain. (Who would have thought I would ever ask for more rain from Oregon??)

I hadn't decided yet if I was going to stay in Pai for a night or try and go straight to Mae Hong Son to the monastery  but I figured that the decision would work itself out as it was supposed to.  It turns out that there weren't any more buses going to Mae Hong Son for the day, so my decision was made! I was happy to stay in Pai anyway, so no hard feelings there. I found a great little dorm room right away for 100 baht per night, right on this great little road in town. Once I was settled in, I decided that I would stay in Pai overnight, and also the next day. Might as well, the weather is fine and I am feeling good. So today is Monday and I will be going to the bus station to check out my ticket to the monastery here in a bit to leave tomorrow.
Ahhhhhh. Going with the flow is SO much nicer than trying to figure everything out. The world has it all figured out for you, just relax! This is my cheesy spiritual insight for the day :)
I am at a little cafe right now with a pot of earl grey tea. I found several great places that make wonderful chai tea here in Pai. I have had 3 chai teas in the last 24 hours, so I am making good use of my time here obviously. 
The monastery has no internet from what I have researched, so I won't be posting this week. I do love emails from you guys though, and nothing is better from an internet hiatus then seeing my inbox filled with hellos and loves from you guys! I hope everyone has a wonderful, inspiring week in the coming days <3


I spy with my little eye....

Toadally posing. Is he angry?


-H

No comments:

Post a Comment